Once you resign, prepare yourself for a possible counter offer. Once you hand in your resignation, there is a period of time when management will be thinking about the impact your leaving the company will have on the business. They may try to get you to stay in your current job to maintain the status quo. However, from our experience and that of the candidates we work with, a number of factors need to be kept at the forefront of your mind before you accept that counter offer to stay…. Luc Jones, Partner and Commercial Director of our Antal Russia office shares a number of ‘realities’ for you to consider before you agree to stay on:
- You have now made your employer aware that you are unhappy. From this day on your commitment will always be in question.
- When promotion time comes around, your employer will remember who is loyal and who isn’t.
- When times get tough, your employer will begin the cutbacks with you.
- When your employer replaces you after six months and ‘lets you go’, it’ll be harder to turn them around than it was for them to turn you around.
- Accepting a counter offer is an insult to your intelligence. You didn’t know what was best for you.
- Accepting a counter offer is a blow to your personal pride, knowing you were ‘bought’.
- Accepting a counter offer rarely changes the factors that drove you to look for a new job in the first place.
- Where is the money for the counter offer coming from? Is it your next pay rise early?
- Statistics show that if you accept a counter offer, there is a ninety percent chance you will be out of the job within six months.
- What type of a company do you work for if you have to threaten to resign before they give you what you’re worth?
- Why didn’t they pay you that before? It was because they didn’t think you were worth it.
- Why are they paying it to you now? It’s because it’s easier and cheaper for them to keep you for the time being, while they sort the problem out.
Indeed, there are many factors to take into account. Our recruitment teams across the globe are on hand to talk and support you through the process of moving from one job to another as there are many challenges to overcome. So, please do not hesitate to review our comprehensive list of jobs on the Antal.com and reach out to us for more information.